2013年11月12日 星期二

Mulan


Enjoy the beautiful song, please~
Reflection
There is also a Chinese version sung by Coco 李玟, called "自己"


This week, let's look at something old, first released in 1998.

...MULAN!!!
We are all familiar with her story, because of the poem in Chinese textbook,
木蘭詩:「唧唧復唧唧,木蘭當戶織...」
However, there are some slight differences in Disney's animation. Disney lengthened the story, making it more dramatic and complicated.
Let me give a brief introduction. (Most information come from Wikipedia)
1. Mushu, the guardian dragon of Fa Family, was sent out by ancestors, to travel with Mulan.
2. Mulan was once heavily injured. When the doctor came to treat her, her true identity was revealed. In Chinese legend, she wasn't found out as a woman.
3. The climax of whole animation:
The Emperor was captured by his enemy, Shan Yu(單于) and his army. (They disguised as lion and dragon dancers in advance.) Mulan sneaked into the palace, and had a battle with Shan Yu on the roof. She finally used explosive to combat him. Shan Yu flew far away, blasting with fireworks. Mulan thus became the hero of China.


The following are my thoughts and reflections:

1. Mulan is a legend figure from "China". However, I knew her as a character of an "American" animation for the first time. How globalization affects our lives! And how profoundly American culture dominates this era! While we work so hard on international stage, should we also pay more attention to those belong to our land, our history, and our culture? 

2. Mulan is a girl, but her courage and martial art(武術) can compete against all men. Taking her father's place to join the army is admirable and it required strong determination! That remind us not to discriminate against others. Until today, Stereotypes still exist in our society.

3. As the lyrics in the theme song,
"Why must we all conceal
what we think, how we feel?
Must there be a secret me
I'm forced to hide?"
Mulan met a contradictory situation. She had an outgoing personality like a boy. But she was forced to hide her real feeling and to behave "like a girl".
I think we all have asked ourselves, "Who am I?"
"Do I love myself? Do I really want to be that way?" 
Sometimes we are suppressed by the society. Even though we act a little different from most people, or we have some unusual opinions, it doesn't matter at all. It is amazing to be ourselves! It is the bravest deed to express our true emotion! 



I would like to use the picture of my favorite figure as the ending.
Mushu, 木須龍! He is really cute!



The disgusting bad guy Shan Yu failed!

reference:
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30300000/Walt-Disney-Screencaps-Mushu-walt-disney-characters-30310365-2560-1511.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6600000/Mulan-Wallpaper-disney-6628330-1024-768.jpg
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%8A%B1%E6%9C%A8%E5%85%B0_(1998%E5%B9%B4%E7%94%B5%E5%BD%B1)

4 則留言:

  1. Oh! I love Reflection very much, This is really a beautiful song! In addition to this song, I also love "Be A Man" That a song sung by 成龍. Mulan is one of my childhood memories.

    回覆刪除
  2. Be A Man is one of our graduation song, although we are in a girl school, we still choose this song, because it's such a encouraging song!!

    回覆刪除
  3. Reflection is a beautiful song, and I like it very much.
    Mushu is my favorite figure, too. All the funny part in the movie are related to him!!!

    回覆刪除
  4. I love Mushu so much!!!
    It is so cute and funny!!!
    The song is awesome,too!

    回覆刪除